- Home
- Big Law resists the retaliation from Trump
Big Law resists the retaliation from Trump
Some of the most influential law firms in America have recently been faced with a crucial decision: either strike a deal with the White House or get ready to battle against the harsh limits President Donald Trump has imposed on firms and attorneys he disagrees with politically.
Two well-known companies struck deals with the White House after facing potentially disastrous sanctions from Trump due to work he opposes, which fueled industry fears that Big Law would give in to Trump's tactics and upend the way big businesses have conducted business in Washington for decades.
However, two sizable firms founded on litigation and Washington connections, Jenner & Block and WilmerHale, filed a lawsuit against the administration on Friday morning to contest Trump executive orders that targeted them and their customers. The companies claimed that the government was punishing or stifling speech it didn't like by utilizing executive orders that weren't constitutional.
For many attorneys pushing for the profession to unite in support of the rule of law, the development was a positive change. It's unclear how long the opposition to Trump will last. Some lawyers worry that their businesses have already suffered because new clients would shun firms that Trump has a grudge against, even if Trump's orders are proved to be unconstitutional.
Later on Friday, two different judges, citing probable First Amendment violations, issued temporary orders halting portions of the Trump executive orders against the Jenner and Wilmer firms. The firm Perkins Coie is contesting a similar order that targets it, and they join a third judge who halted an earlier executive order against it.
Trump is making amends with political rivals, as seen by the wording in the preambles of his executive orders. Wilmer and Jenner are both acquainted with Robert Mueller, the former special counsel who oversaw the Russia probe into Trump's 2016 presidential campaign.
Within hours of Trump's executive order against WilmerHale, a well-known conservative lawyer named Paul Clement responded, filing a 63-page lawsuit in federal court in Washington on Friday morning, reflecting the unease among both Democratic and Republican attorneys.
After bringing the complaint for Wilmer, Clement, who owns his own small litigation company, said in a statement that the issue is "absolutely critical to vindicating the First Amendment, our adversarial system of justice, and the rule of law."
Another source told CNN that if the firm decided to fight, it also received guarantees that some of its bigger clients would remain with the firm.
Getting ready for the "vendetta tour" of Trump
For weeks, a number of the corporations had been planning their responses to Trump's executive orders, talking with officials at other firms and their own partnerships about what they could do. According to many legal industry sources who spoke to CNN, the ultimate choice of whether or not to file a lawsuit primarily hinged on the potential reactions of law firms' corporate customers.
Perkins Coie, Jenner & Block, Covington & Burling, Paul, Weiss, Wharton, Rifkin & Garrison, and WilmerHale are the five companies that Trump has restricted thus far. Additionally, Trump issued a broad order to penalize immigration law firms and attorneys who the government considers to be bringing nuisance litigation.
Trump and Paul Weiss came to an agreement to revoke the order against the company. Before the White House could even be targeted, another company, Skadden Arps Slate Meagher & Flom, came to an arrangement with it on Friday.
According to the sources, Trump's attack on the industry has rapidly intensified, and since the executive orders began a month ago, numerous firms have been inundated with calls from business consultants and their clients discussing the best course of action.
According to one lawyer, Trump has only been in office for nine weeks. Everyone was aware that he would on a vendetta tour. "No one foresaw this," the attorney added. "Who knows what will happen next?"
A person with knowledge of the matter told CNN that WilmerHale has already devised a strategy for reacting. According to the source, the company had communicated with the White House's legal team and officials who were interested in policy in an attempt to persuade the government not to target it.
Wilmer was aware that it might be subject to restrictions similar to those issued Thursday night, which would prevent federal agencies from allowing its attorneys to use their buildings, prohibit the firm from hiring its former employees, and possibly result in retaliation against companies with government contracts that had retained the firm's defense counsel.
Mueller, a military hero and former FBI director who is admired in Wilmer, was another hot spot. When they struck a deal with the White House, firm officials saw how Trump attempted to undermine the reputation of a longtime, esteemed partner at Paul, Weiss, Wharton, Rifkind & Garrison, according to insiders.
In his announcement of the firm's deal to his partnership, Trump claimed that Paul Weiss' chair "acknowledged the wrongdoing" of its former partner Mark Pomerantz, who left the firm to work on the Manhattan district attorney's criminal investigation into Trump. However, Brad Karp, the chair of the firm, made no mention of this. According to Karp, Paul Weiss also considered filing a lawsuit to overturn Trump's executive order before agreeing to a settlement with the White House.
According to an email obtained by CNN, Karp wrote to the partnership last Sunday, "But it became clear that, even if we were successful in initially enjoining the executive order in litigation, it would not solve the fundamental problem, which was that clients perceived our firm as being persona non grata with the Administration."
Different businesses take different routes.
A lot of the legal community was afraid of which firm might be next before Friday, and many big firms were reluctant to appear in court or in the public eye.
In order to stave off any federal constraints the White House could want to impose on it, Skadden Arps, a firm based in New York, independently pledged to donate $100 million in pro bono legal labor. Via the federal Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, the administration had previously questioned that company and a number of others on their diversity policies.
Regarding Skadden, Trump stated from the Oval Office on Friday that "this was essentially a settlement." Trump said earlier this week that businesses were caving in to his demands.
The firm now "looks forward to continuing our productive relationship with President Trump and his Administration," according to a statement released by Skadden's executive partner Jeremy London on Friday.
London said that "this development and other recent events have been extraordinarily difficult" in a firmwide email that CNN reviewed. "When faced with the alternatives, it became clear that it was the best path to protect our clients, our people, and our Firm," he stated, explaining why they made the deal. London acknowledged that not everyone would agree, but referred to it as a "acceptable outcome" to guarantee Skadden would "thrive" in the future.
In a letter to the firm's leadership prior to Skadden's deal, a group of former students from a public interest law training program urged them "to take every measure to resist unlawful interference with the rule of law, to fight any unjust actions that may be taken by the Government against the firm, and to speak publicly about the critical, nonpartisan role of lawyers in defending democracy."
Other businesses are refusing to collaborate with the administration, particularly since a number of big businesses are already supporting legal actions opposing Trump's attempts to reduce federal expenditure and alter US social policy.
A person familiar with the company's complaint told CNN that Jenner, which is currently involved in cases against Trump's cuts to health research and rollbacks of climate projects, had substantial talks with its partnership, including at least one firm meeting about what to do in recent days.
According to the individual, the firm also talked with its clients about how to react, including filing a lawsuit in public.
According to those informed on the negotiations, the EEOC investigations and their impact on clients have been the most concerning aspect of the White House crackdown for several of the major law firms. As a result, several businesses have contacted the White House in an attempt to negotiate an agreement.
According to the sources, the EEOC inquiry increases the possibility that firms would be required to provide the government with client data, which the firms and their clients do not want, in addition to information on their colleagues and the recruiting procedures for new attorneys.
A few executive orders targeting companies are still being drafted and are anticipated to be signed by the president in the next few days, according to people briefed on the subject.
The willingness of law firms to make concessions to Trump continues to draw strong criticism from many in the legal community. The legal profession has also been urged to resist the directives by well-known lawyers, Democratic state attorneys general, bar associations, and even former employees of some of the businesses.
Longtime civil rights lawyer Vanita Gupta, the No. 3 official at the Justice Department during the Biden administration, told CNN on Friday that "fighting back is the only way through this attack on the very foundations of our legal system." "Companies must resist overtly unconstitutional government actions if they wish to be trusted to fight the biggest battles."
According to sources in the legal sector, each firm's strategies have, in some respects, been consistent with the main business that each partnership does.
For example, Perkins Coie, a longtime public opponent of Trump, was the first to sue the government over an executive order from the law firm.
Additionally, because Jenner & Block does a lot of work for government contractors, Trump's restrictions on the company could have destroyed about half of its revenue. In a similar vein, Wilmer Hale frequently secures work due to its strong connections with Washington insiders from both political parties.
